I came up (it's probably out there officially somewhere) with this recipe late last Friday night, whilst home alone with nothing to do except bake and watch Elf. My parents were out so I had the kitchen (and all its ingredients) to myself! So I went just a little bit wild on the lemon...
These cupcakes have a soft lemon sponge cake and a tarty lemon icing. They're perfect with just about anything! They proved a hit with family and friends so I thought I'd share the recipe!
- 250g Sugar (caster or granulated)
- 250g Self raising Flour
- 250g Butter
- 4 eggs
- The find of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp of lemon flavouring (you could also add a drop of the juice from the lemon)
- 250g Icing sugar
- 80g Butter
- 100g Lemon curd
- Sprinkles of your choice
- Preheat oven to 180°c/350°f/Gas Mark 4
- Cream together the butter and the sugar. Then add the lemon rind and flavouring.
- Add the eggs to the bowl and and add a small amount of the flour as well to prevent the mixture from splitting.
- Sift in the flour, folding gently.
- Spoon into cupcake or muffin cases and bake for 20-25 minutes
- Once cooked (you can tell this if they're springy to the touch, a skewer comes out clean and they're a golden brown colour on top) remove from the oven and leave to cool completely.
- To make the icing, cream the butter until soft and then incorporate the lemon curd, gradually mix in all the icing sugar until a smooth buttercream Is formed.
- Pipe onto the cakes in whichever pattern you desire.
Here are some of mine:
Display however you fancy, I opted for this pretty little glass cake stand, but a plate works just fine!
Thankyou for reading and I hope you have fun baking!